Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Panthers Defeated Virginia Tech on Saturday? That Really Happened?

When you work all weekend like I sometimes do, you don't always get to blog about everything all at once. Well, I worked all weekend, and I didn't get a chance to blog about the Pitt Panthers' surprising 35-17 win over 13th ranked Virginia Tech on Saturday at Heinz Field. So, therefore, I'd like to start off by saying, WOW! I totally did not see that coming.

I glanced at the local newspaper on Saturday morning, and I saw the article referencing the Panthers' 2001 victory over the Hokies that catapulted Pitt from a poor start to a bowl berth. Actually, the Panthers had the Hokies number in the early 00's. In 2000, the Panthers traveled to highly ranked Virginia Tech and nearly walked away with a victory. In 2002, the Panthers actually did defeat the 2nd ranked Hokies. And Pitt won another exciting clash in 2003 to end the series for the time-being and send the Hokies packing to the ACC.

But that was nearly 10 years ago. Just because one school had another school's number a decade earlier does not mean that it will continue on to today. Not after the way the Panthers were manhandled by both Cincinnati AND Division I-AA Youngstown State to start the season. Pitt would be lucky to defeat Gardner Webb, let alone Virginia Tech, right?

Well, I'll be damned. PITT still has Virginia Tech's number.

Good job, PITT.

No comments:

Post a Comment