Wednesday, January 9, 2013

A.J. McCarron's girlfriend and the overreactions of reactionary people

I was aware that "something" happened between ESPN's Brent Musburger and Katherine Webb, the super, duper hot girlfriend of Alabama quarterback and national champion A.J. McCarron, during the telecast of Monday night's BCS National championship game between the Tide and Notre Dame, but I didn't know what.

I wasn't sure if Musburger made a pass at Webb during pre-game warm-ups, had his spotter pass an inappropriate note to her during the game, or just simply screamed, "Damn,  that girl is fine! I'd hit that!"

It wasn't until Tuesday evening, when I arrived home from work and searched the Internet to find out what the deal was, that I finally realized how "low" Musburger went. 

The uproar was over a comment Musburger made about Webb during the telecast. Here's the quote courtesy of the LA Times (viewer discretion is strongly advised) : "You quarterbacks," the 73-year-old Musburger says. "You get all the good-looking women. What a beautiful woman."

What a dirty old fart. 

Seriously, though. That's what had everyone in an uproar?  

Where are we headed as a society when simply pointing out the obvious and complimenting a beautiful woman (with a totally hot body and legs that go on forever) is a bad thing? 

I guess it was bad enough for ESPN to apologize on behalf of Musburger: “We always try to capture interesting storylines and the relationship between an Auburn grad who is Miss Alabama and the current Alabama quarterback certainly met that test,” ESPN spokesman Mike Soltys tweeted. “However, we apologize that the commentary in this instance went too far and Brent understands that.”

I've had my share of girlfriends in my day (and not all of them were Miss State), and I can tell you that calling a woman "beautiful" isn't really a bad thing. In fact, it's strongly encouraged, and women have a "what have you done for me lately" mentality about compliments. If you're not complimenting your woman now, you better do it in the next few minutes or you're going to be replaced. 

I've heard of people being reprimanded for making anti-semitic, anti-black, anti-ugly and anti-fat remarks, but this is the first time I've ever heard of the PC police coming out on behalf of a beautiful woman for being called beautiful.

To her credit, Webb wasn't offended by Musburger's remarks and even defended the long-time sportscaster.

So not only is Webb a gorgeous woman--with a full set of curves and the kind of legs you'd like to suck on for a day--she also seems smart and rational.

Good for her.

Sometime in the mid-90's, between his stints as head coach at Notre Dame and South Carolina, Lou Holtz was doing studio work for CBS and at one point during one of the broadcasts, the network flashed a picture of Holtz from the late 70's/early 80's. Obviously, Coach's style looked a bit dated in the picture--including his hair--and upon seeing the picture, Holtz "joked," "That's the last time I will let a retarded person cut my hair."

I can't remember if there was nervous, awkward laughter on the set, but I know my uncle and I turned to one another and said, "He's going to get in trouble for that."

However, there was no trouble, no apology, and no suspension.

So, as a society, we've gone from nothing being said about a famous coach making an insensitive remark about mentally handicapped people, to being in an uproar over a college football announcer commenting on how beautiful Miss Alabama is?

Gotta love the Internet Age.

PS,

I wouldn't kick Katherine Webb out of bed.........if ya know what I mean. *wink*.

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't sure if Musburger made a pass at Webb during pre-game warm-ups, had his spotter get girlfriend back pass an inappropriate note to her during the game, or just simply screamed, "Damn, that girl is fine! I'd hit that!"

    ReplyDelete